Monday, June 22, 2009

The Trek

This past week, Wayne left our sweet kiddos and wifey for a 4 day journey on our Stake trek. They hiked 20 miles with 2500 lb. handcarts per family. They lived on cornmeal, small bags of beef jerkey, chicken broth and one night they even dropped off a sack of potatoes per family and said, "Do with them what you want." Holy Canoli! At one point they were attacked by "Indians" and had one of their daughter stolen and in order to get her back, the "Ma and Pa" of the family gave the indians 2 dozen baked cookies that they thought were going to be shared with the rest of the family! It was pretty brutal. But Wayne said the youth were absolutely amazing and did not complain one time during all of this. I am so thankful he had this opportunity to go and gain a stronger testimony of the pioneers and am so thankful for my own pioneer heritage that actually endured such great struggles so that I can enjoy the great blessings of the true gospel in my life. We are so glad he was able to experience this, and believe it or not so is he. Oh, I couldn't leave out this pic........of my mountain man:) Woo Hoo!

3 comments:

Matt and Melissa said...

That's so great you got to go on a trek. Sounds like you has a good time. I've been on two and even though you work so hard you always end up loving it when it's over.

Amanda said...

My neice went one one and they had to kill and pluck a chicken! She thought it was cool, but they had alot of spirtual experinces too!

gibkidsmom said...

Kudos to Wayne! I'm sure that the youth loved having him on the trek. What a great experience!